Clockwise from upper left:
In the midst of peacekeeping operations in Haiti, a soldier assists an elderly woman by carrying the food she received from the Army.
Defense Distribution Depot Tobyhanna, Pennsylvania (DDTP), personnel prepare one of 23 specially designed air pallets bound for Dover Air Force Base, Delaware, for shipment to Germany to support the troops in Bosnia. After coordination with Dover Air Force Base and Defense Distribution Depot Susquehanna, Pennsylvania (DDSP), the packaging and transportation divisions at DDTP built and loaded the pallets on site instead of shipping supplies to DDSP for packaging. Transportation and handling costs were reduced by $2,450, and movement of supplies was expedited.
This gun mount, marked with serial number 1 on its identification plate, is probably the first of its kind manufactured in 1957. Gun mount experts at Rock Island Arsenal, Illinois, believe it was manufactured as a prototype M127 gun mount and later was converted to an M178 mount and used on a M109 self-propelled howitzer. Rock Island is converting M178 gun mounts to M182's that will support more powerful cannons on M109A5 improved howitzers. The serial number 1 gun mount is shown here as it is being converted to an M182. It will undergo live fire testing at Yuma Proving Ground, Arizona.
Soldiers from the 411th Engineer Battalion (Heavy) take a break after pouring the floor for a semiprefabricated building at Camp Carroll in Korea. The reserve unit was first to use the Army's new MIC120 automatic building machine in a forward theater of operations. The training mission-construction of buildings used for equipment storage, housing, or hangars-supports wartime requirements for reception, staging, and integration. The KSPAN shown here is a semicircular, covered, ribbed structure that can be constructed in 3 days with a 15-man crew.